initiator: Raymond du Puy, master of the Hospital
recipient: Joeta abbatissa S. Lazari Betanie
institution: Saint Lazarus in Bethany
additional institution: Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem
text: Dec. 25 1156 - Nov. 20 1157. In the presence of Queen Melisende, agreement is reached on an exchange between the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem and Joeta abbatissa S. Lazari Betanie. Raimundus magister Hospitalis, with the consent of all the brothers of his chapter, cleric or lay, gives the abbess and nuns of St Lazarus all the tithe the Hospital had in the casale of Bethaanina in exchange for a vineyard that is bordered on the east by a vineyard belonging to the Hospital, on the south by a vineyard belonging to St. Anne, on the north by the road that goes to Nablus as far as the crossroads [bivium] of S. Stephanus. The vineyard is granted by Joeta with the consent of all the nuns and chapter of St Lazarus. Avis abbatissa Sancte Marie Grandis, with the consent of her nuns, in particular Odulina, Sole [Solis] and Gaudelena, grants the Hospital of St John half the tithe she took on the vineyard, in the presence of Petrus de Sancto Lazaro, Lambertus Cambiator and Stephanus Umbertus. Sebilia abbatissa Sancte Anne, with the consent of Ermengardis and Gilia and her other nuns, grants the Hospital the other half the tithe she took on the vineyard, in the presence of Radulfus de Sancto Petro, Willelmus Ebraldi and Amisarnus Carnifex. Witnesses: Odolina priorissa; domina Siguina Romana; Alamandina cantatrix; Helena sanctimonialis; Agnes sanctimonialis.
Dec. 25 1156 - Nov. 20 1157. In the presence of Queen Melisende, agreement is reached on an exchange between the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem and Joeta abbatissa S. Lazari Betanie. Raimundus magister Hospitalis, with the consent of all the brothers of his chapter, cleric or lay, gives the... more
sources: Delaville Le Roulx, Cart Hosp 1:189-90 no. 250; UKJ 1:374-5, no. 193 (RRH no. 327)
initiator: Arnaldus Dominici Sepulcri prior
recipient: Burgenses of Mahumeria
institution: Holy Sepulchre
text: 1158 - 1159. Arnaldus Dominici Sepulcri prior, with the agreement of his chapter, records exchanges made at Mahumeria with certain burgenses of the village [villa]. (1). An agreement made with Guibertus Papasius, with the consent of his wife Usanna, in which he exchanges the vineyard next to the cemetery and church of Mons Gaudii, inherited by Usanna, for a part [pars] at the far end [extrema pars] of the great vineyard that is next to the upper road [via superior] and adjoins another vineyard belonging to Guibertus on which he owes decima et terraticum. Tithes will be owed on Guibertus’s acquisition. . An agreement with Gauterius Carpentarius, who exchanges a vineyard adjoining the one that had belonged to Guibertus Papasius for a vineyard in another part of the great vineyard, next to the high road [magna via], for which he will owe tithes. (3). An agreement with Ainardus Cavallom, who exchanges part of a vineyard, next to that which had belonged to Gauterius Carpentarius for another part of a vineyard in the great vineyard, this also being next to that of Gauterius Carpentarius. Tithes will be paid. Ainardus, impelled by poverty and having nothing with which to feed and bring up his wife and children, has sold this part to Martinus Carpentarius of Mons Gaudii for 26 besants with the consent of his lord and the court [curia]. (4). An agreement with the daughters of Pontius Faverius and their husbands. They exchange 30 jugera of cultivated land in the territory of Kalandria, owing decima et terraticum, for 2 petiae of a vineyard in valle Sancte Marie, one of 4 jugera, the other of 2 jugera, which had belonged to frater Petrus de Rametis, for which they will give tertia et decima. (5). The prior gives Stephanus Pastinace the vineyard that had belonged to frater Arnaldus on condition that he cultivates the wasteland and pays medietas et decima annually. (6) An agreement made with Helyas and Amicus, his relation [gener], in which they exchange part of their garden which is next to the berquilium, for a pars of uncultivated land that had come to the canons in their agreement with Robertus de Retest and adjoins land belonging to Helyas. (7). An agreement with the hospitale at Mahumeria in which the hospitale exchanges part of a garden that stretches between the berquilia of the Holy Sepulchre and the hospitale for 2 jugera of the vineyard that had belonged to frater Stephanus Ortalis. Tithe will be owed for this. (8). Frater Robertus Porcarius gave himself and all his possessions to the Holy Sepulchre [on becoming a confrater]. This was confirmed at Mahumeria by domnus A. prior, assisted by the burgenses of the village [villa] in plenarie curie, to whom Robertus handed a staff [baculum], giving everything to the Holy Sepulchre. Robertus enumerated his possessions, specifying land next to that of Robertus Ungarus, which had been given by Prior Giraldus to him and his wife, previously married to Umbertus, but which he had abandoned because he had not been able to cultivate it; some adjoining land given by Prior Petrus, who later became archbishop of Tyre, to Robertus in an exchange for land he had bought from Galterius Bela; and land nearby which Prior P. had given and on which was owed terraticum et decimam. (9). Prior Arnaldus and domnus Robertus de Retest came to Mahumeria and agreed on the boundaries of their respective territories. They chose an elderly Sarracenus called Pes Tortus, a homo rusticus of Robertus, to provide evidence of the boundary. This survey took place in the presence of the following canons of the Holy Sepulchre: domnus Petrus elemosinarius; domnus Bernardus Antiochenus; frater Pisanus; Petrus Judaeus; Johannes interpres; Arbertus; Stephanus. The son of the aforesaid Robertus [de Retest] was also present.
1158 - 1159. Arnaldus Dominici Sepulcri prior, with the agreement of his chapter, records exchanges made at Mahumeria with certain burgenses of the village [villa]. (1). An agreement made with Guibertus Papasius, with the consent of his wife Usanna, in which he exchanges the vineyard next to the... more
sources: Bresc-Bautier, Cart St-Sépulcre, pp. 244-7, no. 121 (RRH no. 340)
initiator: Herbertus abbas Sanctorum Joseph et Abacuc
recipient: Hugo de Hybelino
institution: Saint Joseph and Abacuc
additional institution: Holy Sepulchre
text: Dec. 25 1159 - Jul. 26 1160.  Abbey church of St Joseph. Herbertus abbas Sanctorum Joseph et Abacuc, with his convent’s agreement, seals an agreement with Hugo de Ybelino dominus Ramathensis. At Bethel, Hugo’s father Barisanus had given the abbey Bethel and Beze, which is called Bazirim, with 2 carrucatę terrę, 5 jornatę terrę and a tower [turris], with whatever the abbey built there. The abbey could build whatever it wanted. The chapel [capella] the abbey constructed there was given to Prior N[icholaus) and the convent of the Holy Sepulchre on the orders of Patriarch A[malric] and at Hugo’s request. These properties are returned to Hugo, who, in the presence of the convent of SS Joseph and Habakuk, Balduinus archidiaconus Sancti Georgii, Gislebertus cantor Sancti Georgii, magister Anschetinus, frater Robertus de Git, Marsirius miles, Andreas Andegavensis miles and Albertus Lombardus, transfers them to the canons of the Holy Sepulchre, represented by Bernardus cantor and magister Achilles. In exchange Hugo gives SS Joseph and Habakuk part of the turonium which is below Mirabellum ‘ad surdos fontes’ and 2 carrucatę in the same territory. Witnesses: Herbertus abbas [who signs and adds a cross]; of the brothers [of the abbey], Bonetus; Nicholaus; Martinus; Harduinus; Martinus; Robertus; Lambertus; Laurencius; Petrus; Guillelmus; Raimundus; Albertus; Ebroinus; Umbertus; Johannes; Guarinus/Garinus; Anselmus; Bernardus, Christianus, Gerardus, Johannes, Siberandus/Saberandas, Galandus. The charter is sealed with the seals of dominus Constantinus Ramathensis episcopus and of Abbot Herbertus.
Dec. 25 1159 - Jul. 26 1160.  Abbey church of St Joseph. Herbertus abbas Sanctorum Joseph et Abacuc, with his convent’s agreement, seals an agreement with Hugo de Ybelino dominus Ramathensis. At Bethel, Hugo’s father Barisanus had given the abbey Bethel and Beze, which is called Bazirim, with... more
sources: Bresc-Bautier, Cart St-Sépulcre, pp. 139-40, no. 52 (RRH no. 358)
initiator: Hugo, Cesaree Palestine dominus
recipient: Petrus prior and the canons of the Holy Sepulchre
institution: Holy Sepulchre
text: Sept. 1 - Dec. 24. Hugo Cesaree Palestine dominus, with the agreement of his wife Ysabel and the advice of his probi homines, makes a sealed grant to Petrus prior and the Latin canons of the Holy Sepulchre. He gives them the mountain next to the garden of Feissa, where rise the waters that feed the aqueduct. The land stretches from the road that comes from Braicaet towards the Casale Sancti Sepulcri, eastwards, by way of the cavea which is between two hills and the river bed [torrens] that flows in winter, to a small hill situated between the said mountain and the mountain of Broiquet; and from the bed of the river bed towards the aforesaid small hill along the side [per crepidinem] of the small hill, as designated by crosses, towards a hillock [monticulum], called the lime kiln [calcis fornax], and then to the south to another hillock, which is not far away, which was the old lime kiln [calcis fornax], extending along the side of the hill in a straight line to a wall [spina] on the plain, which divides the casale of Faisse, belonging to the Holy Sepulchre, from the casale of Sabarim, belonging to the Hospital. The boundaries were drawn by the canons of the Holy Sepulchre with Georgius and his son Balduinus. Hugo retains the right to repair the old aqueduct and the spring that feeds it, in order to convey water to his sugar cane plantation at Casale Bubalorum. In return for this he will provide the canons with half a quintala [of sugar] each year from a sugar cane press [macera], and if there is a surfeit [amplius] he will provide a whole quintala. He can construct another aqueduct and dig another spring to lead water to the aforesaid casale. Hugo also confirms the gift made by his grandfather Eustachius Granerii and his father Galterius, with the boundaries that were established. He adds the privilege that the canons can sell or buy, weigh and measure and transport by land or sea without any payment of usaticum or exactio throughout his land, within and outside the city of Caesarea. The canons give Hugo 400 besants in return for the gift and confirmation. Witnesses: Rainerius episcopus Sebasten[sis]; Radulfus prepositus; Johannes cantor Cesariensis; Symon canonicus; Arnulfus subprior; Petrus Lombardus; frater Adam; frater Vitalis; Petrus de Mahumeria; Petrus Costa vicecomes; Engilbertus de Aria; Carolus; Hamelinus; Rodbertus de Cossia; Georgius; Balduinus filius ejus.
Sept. 1 - Dec. 24. Hugo Cesaree Palestine dominus, with the agreement of his wife Ysabel and the advice of his probi homines, makes a sealed grant to Petrus prior and the Latin canons of the Holy Sepulchre. He gives them the mountain next to the garden of Feissa, where rise the waters that feed the... more
sources: Bresc-Bautier, Cart St-Sépulcre, pp. 271-2, no. 139 (RRH no. 425)